Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's an easy main dish that's cute enough to double as a Halloween table centerpiece! The hearty meatless chili from Agnes Ward of Stratford, Ontario, is spiced up with colorful Serrano and red peppers and onions.
- 2 (481.94 g) package corn muffin mix
- 158.51 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1.23 ml black paste food coloring
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 78.07 ml chopped onion
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 2 (850.48 g) can fat-free vegetarian chili
- 14.79 ml process cheese sauce
- 14.79 ml ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, eggs and food coloring just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 30-35 minute until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut to fourth of loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-inch shell (discard bread, or save for another use).
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Set aside 1/4 cup pepper mixture. Stir chili into remaining pepper mixture; heat through. Spoon 2 1/2 to 3 cups chili mixture into bread coffin; arrange reserved pepper mixture over chili. Replace bread top. Transfer remaining chili to serving bowl.
- Place cheese sauce in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small whole in a corner of bag. Write "RIP" with cheese sauce, then repeat with ketchup. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
- NOTE: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid toucing your face.