Here's an easy main dish that's cute enough to double as a Halloween table centerpiece! The hearty meatless chili from Agnes Ward of Stratford, Ontario, is spiced up with colorful Serrano and red peppers and onions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages corn muffin mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black paste food coloring
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fat-free vegetarian chili
- 1 tablespoon process cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1In a large bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, eggs and food coloring just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 30-35 minute until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2Cut to fourth of loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-inch shell (discard bread, or save for another use).
- 3In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Set aside 1/4 cup pepper mixture. Stir chili into remaining pepper mixture; heat through. Spoon 2 1/2 to 3 cups chili mixture into bread coffin; arrange reserved pepper mixture over chili. Replace bread top. Transfer remaining chili to serving bowl.
- 4Place cheese sauce in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small whole in a corner of bag. Write "RIP" with cheese sauce, then repeat with ketchup. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
- 5NOTE: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid toucing your face.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili-Filled Coffin Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.1
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.1 mg
- Sodium 745.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free vegetarian chili