Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great way to have free time while hosting a party!! The prep time is all the work. And can be done the day before. You can serve it over Rice topped with cheese or roll it into a wrap, a side of sour cream, salsa, and sliced avocados. You will like this thick and spicy dish.
- olive oil, to cover bottom of pan
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb ground beef (or mixture) or 1 lb ground pork (or mixture) or 1 lb ground veal (or mixture) or 1 lb ground turkey (or mixture)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces beer
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 3 cups water (Add more if you need to thin)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika or 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (9 ounce) package au jus mix
- 1 (32 ounce) can red beans
- 1 (32 ounce) can pink beans
- 1 (32 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (32 ounce) can white beans
- 2 diced jalapenos (or more) or 2 diced chipotle chiles in adobo (more of you like)
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Cook onions, leeks, garlic, ground, and cubed meats, till browned.
- Add every thing else except for half the beans.
- Cook for 2 hours over low heat or in a crock pot.
- Stir in rest of beans.
- Taste to see if it`s to your HEAT!
- Re season, Cook 30 more minutes.
- Serve with corn bread and a crisp salad.
I tried this due to a challenge on the World Tour Event. I used ground turkey and made in a crockpot, otherwise followed the ingredients & instructions. I am sad to say this wasn't to my taste. I couldn't get past the sweetness, but I am from Texas and have a preconceived idea of what chili is. Thanks Rita for sharing your recipe.
I put a whole habanaro in then pulled it out before serving.
so many ingredients went into this-i think some of the flavors cancelled each other out. not at all spicy though it should have been, this is more of a stew than a chili.but everyone ate it, so that's a plus.