Recipe by Mimi in Maine
Do you like Chili Dogs? You'll like Paul Deen's recipe for Chili Dogs that was on her show, "Let's Party". She is a riot and she makes you want to eat these by just watching her. They are so good. You can use my recipe Mimi's Chili or the one below which is good. If you have any Chili left over, freeze it for the next batch. Also, canned Chili may be used if you wish. Great for the Super Bowl.
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage (I use sweet)
- 3 onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 4 good hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup potato sticks (in a can)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- pickled banana pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven combine the hamburg, sausage, onions, and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat till brown, stir breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Stir in chili powder, flour, sugar, oregano, salt; stir well.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and beans and simmer another 20-30 minutes.
- Butterfly the hotdogs lengthwise, making sure you do NOT cut all the way through.
- Put the butter in a frying pan and melt.
- Put in the hot dogs and fry till done.
- Put the split rolls in the buttered frying pan and get it soggy (so says Paula), or put them on a grill just to brown them a little and they are heated.
- Put the hotdog in the bun with the split side up and then on a plate.
- Ladle the chili over the top.
- Then add the other condiments as desired.