Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can Hunt's no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb turkey hot dogs
- 10 hot dog buns
- In skillet, brown beef and onions.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, chili powder, mustard, garlic powder, cumin, sugar and crushed red pepper; heat through.
- Meanwhile, heat or grill hot dogs.
- To serve, place hot dogs in buns; spoon chili down center of each.
This was just OK for us. I doubled the recipe. I was a bit leary when it came to adding the mustard as I had never added mustard to chili. I tasted it before adding the mustard and it was a bit bland so I added half the mustard. After adding the mustard no one would eat it but me. We all like mustard but did not care for it in this recipe.
Made these on our RV camping trip and they were a hit! Just the right balance of spices. I used ground turkey instead of beef. We topped some with cheddar cheese and some with chopped Walla Walla sweet onion (since we were in that region of WA State when we made them :) ) Thanks for a keeper!
I made these chili dogs for my dad on Father's Day and he loved them! The sauce has wonderful flavor and the spices are perfect! I didnt have no-salt added tomato paste so used regular and only had about 1 tablespoon of chili powder left. Was a bit worried about only using 1/2 pound ground beef but everything was great.