Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
DH loves this recipe so much, that when he retires, he's considering buying a mobile concession stand to haul behind our RV to sell these hotdogs. We add cheese, onion and mustard, but that is your choice. This freezes well.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 7 3⁄8 ounces Hormel chili without beans (lunchbox size)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Brown hamburg and 1/3 cup onion.
- Combine hamburg onion mix and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 2 hours.
If you are going to add a can of store bought chili, then make this ? Why not just enough cans ?
I've been making this for years and just never got around to reviewing it. It is wonderful! I make no changes except for using a larger can of Hormel - only because I can never find the lunchbox size. The leftovers freeze well, too. Thanks, Deely, for the great recipe!
I made this for our Memorial Day cookout at the beach. It was a huge hit!! The only thing I did differently was to lower the salt to 1/4 tsp. Thanks for a new Family Keeper, Deely!!