Recipe by Erv Kosch
Enjoy tater tots and chili dogs in one mouth-watering dish.
Top Review by CulinaryExplorer
We thought this was a great comfort food, and oh so simple. However we agree that the amounts stated are not quite right. We had a fairly large casserole dish with a lot of surface space on the bottom to cover so we used 45oz. of chili (30oz. reg, and 15oz thick) to cover it with a nice layer. And I added the suggested 1/4 cup of ketchup as well. I also threw in about 1/3 of a medium white onion. We used 4 bun length weiners and might use more next time. And I probably used all but a small bit of the bag of extra crispy tots. And I used about 2 cups of cheese on top. I thought this amount left us with a nicely balanced casserole. If it wasn't so high in calories and fat we would probably make this one often.
- 1 (24 ounce) can chili
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen tater tots
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour your Chili into a 9" X 13" pan. If the sauce doesn't comfortably cover the pan mix in a 1/4 cup of ketchup.
- Cut up the Hot Dogs and mix into the chili.
- Make sure the hot dogs have at least some chili sauce on them or they will burn.
- Put as many frozen tater tots on top of mixture as they will fit without overlapping. A uniform pattern cooks better and faster.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tots are golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- Lightly dust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the tots and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.