Enjoy tater tots and chili dogs in one mouth-watering dish.
Make and share this Chili Dog Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour your Chili into a 9" X 13" pan. If the sauce doesn't comfortably cover the pan mix in a 1/4 cup of ketchup.
- Cut up the Hot Dogs and mix into the chili.
- Make sure the hot dogs have at least some chili sauce on them or they will burn.
- Put as many frozen tater tots on top of mixture as they will fit without overlapping. A uniform pattern cooks better and faster.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tots are golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- Lightly dust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the tots and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
We thought this was a great comfort food, and oh so simple. However we agree that the amounts stated are not quite right. We had a fairly large casserole dish with a lot of surface space on the bottom to cover so we used 45oz. of chili (30oz. reg, and 15oz thick) to cover it with a nice layer. And I added the suggested 1/4 cup of ketchup as well. I also threw in about 1/3 of a medium white onion. We used 4 bun length weiners and might use more next time. And I probably used all but a small bit of the bag of extra crispy tots. And I used about 2 cups of cheese on top. I thought this amount left us with a nicely balanced casserole. If it wasn't so high in calories and fat we would probably make this one often.
This was a good base but we think it needed a few changes. I followed the recipe as written except I used 2 15 oucne cans of hormel chili. We think that even with 30 ounces of chili, it still needed a lot more chili. I would use atleast another 15 ounces if not 30 ounces of chili next time. I only used six hot dogs also because it didn't seem like there was enough chili. I think this could be a really good recipe with a few changes. I also cooked at 350 for 30 minutes and another 5 once the cheese was on top. This was very easy to make.
Great recipe! I followed some suggestions. I used two cans of chili, added ketchup and mustard to the chili along with the hot dogs (I used bun length oscar meyer). And I followed the other directions and we loved it! Thank you so much for sharing, this is a keeper for us!