Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
The crust part of this recipes would also go great on chicken.
- 1 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (divided)
- 6 catfish fillets (8 to 10 ounces each)
- In large bowl, combine chili powder, crushed chili peppers, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, onion powder and cumin and mix well.
- Be sure there are not lumps.
- Coat fish well with mixture.
- In 10 to 12-inch saute pan on medium-high, heat 1/4 cup oil 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put 2 fillets in pan and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Drain and discard oil.
- Repeat process with remaining oil and fish.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place browned fish on a greased cookie sheet so that they are all lying flat.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until fish is done.