Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a Chinese dish which is very popular in Malaysia.It has a sweet-sour and a little bit spicy taste to it.
- 1 kg crab (cleaned and quatered)
- 1 cup oil
- 1 onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 (450 ml) cancubed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine (optional) or 1 tablespoon rice wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3 cm ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 medium red chilies
- 5 sprigs spring onions
- 2 cm ginger, cut into thin strips
- sesame oil
- Heat oil in wok over high heat,when hot, fry crabs.
- in batches for 2 minutes each batch.
- Remove and keep aside.
- LOwer heat slightly,add onion and ground ingredients and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes,sugar,soy sauce,cayenne pepper,Sherry and let simmer for another 5 minutes or till tomatoes are very soft and starts to form a gravy.
- Check seasonings,add more salt if necessary.
- Add Crabs and Cornstarch mixture and stir fry for another 4 to 5 minutes or till mixture start to thicken,remove from heat.
- Stir in beaten egg white.
- Remove to a serving dish.
- Garnish with sliced spring onions and ginger strips.
- Top with 2 to 3 dashes of sesame oil.
- Serve warm with hot rice or bread.