Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is dairy-free and very yummy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained and liquid reserved
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Heat a large skillet.
- Brown ground beef.
- Add garlic, onion, green pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- Add tomato sauce and chili beans.
- Cook for 10 minutes and top with cornmeal topping.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the topping------------.
- Combine cornmeal, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Pour reserved corn liquid into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 2 3/4 Cups.
- Whisk liquid into cornmeal.
- Add corn.
- Stir over medium high heat until mixture is thick and starts to boil, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and mix in eggs.
- Spread on top of chili and bake for 40 minutes.
Mirj, a very yummy recipe indeed. DH and I loved it. I made it just like you posted. It was easy, and came out of the oven when the rest of the dinner was done. I will be making this one again. Thanks.
Mirj - Thanks for a great and easy recipe! My 2 1/2 year old twins loved it as did the rest of the family. I loved that it can be a one dish meal as well. I followed the recipe exactly except I had to cook a little longer to get the cornbread topping browned the way we like it. We will definitely be having this again.