Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious corn muffins with a bit of a kick. You may want to adjust the amount of heat in these muffins by adding or decreasing the amount of jalapenos -- six seems to be the right amount for us. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (July, 1987).
- 2 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped (use more or less depending on degree of hotness desired)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Butter 24-28 muffin cups.
- Combine cornmeal, four, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a seperate large bowl combine remaining ingredients (corn-eggs).
- Add dry ingredients to wet, blending well.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes or until tops split and center are firm.
The kernel corn in these muffins made them moiset enough and I liked the jalapenos. But, I think I would like them sweeter. Perhaps I'll put a bit of sugar on top next time I make them.
Yummy, Muffins.I made them just like the recipe stated, but used only 1 large jelapeno pepper. It gave it a good flavor just right for our tasre. My DDIL said, These are so good like eating dessert. Ellie, thank you so very much for sharing this recipe.