Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a fantastic dip for chips and also makes a wicked sauce for enchiladas! Serve this for your next get together, everyone will LOVE this I promise! Even better, you can use the Mexican blend of Velveeta cheese for this if desired. Use a good-quality mild cheddar cheese such a Cracker Barrel or Black Diamond brand. Adjust the hot sauce to taste. The dip will thicken as it cools, it is best served from a small crockpot to keep warm you could even cook the complete recipe in the crockpot! Since the store-bought canned chili has very little added ground beef, you could always add in more cooked ground beef is desired!
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 (7 ounce) can chunky salsa (mild or medium)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili (or use homemade with ground beef added)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (can use less)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional or to taste)
- louisiana hot sauce or Tabasco sauce
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat melt the Velveeta and mild cheddar cheese; stir until completely melted and combined.
- When the cheese has melted add in the salsa, chili, sour cream, chili powder, garlic (if using) and hot pepper sauce; cook over low heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
I thought this would be a great crowd pleaser for my Halloween party. It got mixed reviews (my friends are very honest). Some said it was OK, others said it looked like dog food and wouldn't even try it. I personally didn't even try it b/c I didn't think it looked good at all. I followed the recipe exactly. I'm sorry. I think I might try it again w/ homemade salsa and homemade chili and will write another review.
I am not trying to be judgemental at all, however Velveeta is not cheese, it is "plastic" in my humble opinion. Melting real cheese is not that difficult, and the taste is sooo much better.
I made this recipe for a potluck and it was a HUGE hit. It was very easy to make and super delicious. Thanks for posting. I will make again this weekend!