Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I claim this one is mine. (It bears no resemblance to what I started off with several decades ago). As with most chili, soup, stew, or sauce it's a lot better when made the day before and reheated.
- 6 slices of thick cut deli bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of most fat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green anaheim chilies, seeded, veined, chopped or 1 (8 ounce) canortega diced chilies
- 3 jalapenos, seeded, veined, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (16 ounce) canscrushed roma tomatoes, with juice
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons masa harina
- 6 cups whole kernel corn, thawed (1 cup per serving, fresh or frozen)
- Heat a heavy dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Cook the bacon until done but not crisp.
- Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- Pour off and save all but 3 TBS of the grease.
- Place the flour and the first of the salt and pepper in a bag, add the beef, 1/3 at a time, shake to coat.
- Brown the beef, 1/3 at a time (don't crowd the pan).
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe the pan and regrease between each batch.
- Wipe the pan, place on the heat; add 3 TBS bacon grease.
- Saute (stir fry) the onions until almost translucent.
- Add the garlic and chilies.
- Saute until the onions are golden but not yet brown.
- Add all of the ingredients except the Masa Harina and the corn; mix well.
- Return the bacon and beef to the pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Mix the Masa Harina with 1/2 cup of cold water, add to the pot, stir well.
- Cook another 1/2 hour to thicken.
- Place 1 cup of corn in each bowl and top with chili. (That's all the cooking the corn gets, it's just lightly steamed). Serve with a loose leaf lettuce salad, dressed with lime juice and hot, buttered, corn tortillas.