Recipe by QueenOf1211
This recipe is adapted from Jane Brody's "Good Food Book". I have been making my version for years. I've tried others, but my family always asks me to go back to this one. It has TONS of flavor! This makes a large recipe, it can be cooked in a large crock pot after you brown the meat, onions and garlic.
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato juice (optional)
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups green peppers, diced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep, Dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened.
- Add the meat, and brown, stirring to break up pieces. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid and all of the seasonings. Heat until bubbly, reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and vegetables, simmer covered about 20 minutes longer.
- *if it's not soupy enough, add 1 or more small cans of tomato juice.
- *Can put it in a large crock pot after the meat is browned. Cook as long as you need it to, I've cooked it on low for 8 hours, the carrots were a little soft, but fine. You could probably cook it on High for 2 hours or so and it would be fine as well.
- *I have used venison in this recipe with good results.