Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a good meal on a cold winter's day
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 822.13 g can tomato sauce
- 822.13 g can kidney beans (with liquid)
- 822.13 g can pinto beans (with liquid)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 green chili peppers, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 9.85 ml cumin powder
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml black pepper
- 9.85 ml salt
- 473.18 ml water
- Brown the beef and drain the fat off.
- Crumble the cooked beef into pea size pieces.
- In a large pot, combine the beef plus the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Cook stirring every 15 minutes for 2-3 hours.
Good, but fairly spicy for me!!! Has lots of good chili flavor though!
Excellent chili recipe, although the 5 minute prep is more like 35. Also, this makes a LOT of chili. I could barely fit all of this in my pot. My variations include the following:
1) Use extra lean ground beef and do NOT drain the fat
2) Get rid of the yucky canned beans liquid
3) Use a 29 oz can of crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce
4) Use 2 cups of Trader Joes beef bouillon instead of water
5) Skip the salt altogether
6) Use 1 Jalapeno instead of 2 green chilis
7) Add 2 green peppers chopped, 4 cloves of garlic, and 1 pound sliced sweet sausage (browned first to facilitate cutting)
8) After browning the meats and cooking the vegetables, I transferred everything into a slow cooker for 3 hours of more uniform cooking on high.
It was delicious -- definitely not too spicy for my wife's delicate palette. For me, I added hot sauce in my separate bowl. Enjoy!!
By far one of the best child's that I have eaten. I added a can of drained corn at the end and drained the bean juice. My kids and husband loved it. Made cornbread along with it.