Chili Con Carne Texas Style - With Venison
- Cube the venison steak (1/4 inch cubes); dice the onions and green peppers; mince the garlic; shred the monterey jack cheese.
- In a large pot, over medium high heat, in the vegetable oil, cook the venison cubes (a third at a time), stirring frequently until browned on all sides, removing venison to a bowl as it browns; set aside;.
- Reserve 1/2 cup diced onions for sprinkling over chili later. In the pan drippings in the large pot, over medium heat, cook the green peppers, garlic, crushed red pepper, and remaining onions until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, and adding more oil if necessary.
- Return the meat to the pot; add tomatoes with their liquid and the remaining ingredients except the shredded cheese; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until the venison is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chili in bowls and pass the shredded cheese and remaining onions to sprinkle.
- I always like to make some garlic bread and a salad to go with this. It's really good - especially when the weather is cold (and the fireplace is hot).