1/4 Photos of Chili Con Carne Pie
Adjust the heat to taste. It's from a Lesley Waters (UK TV-Chef) cookbook. Some of the meat you'd normally find in this kind of dish has been replaced with lentils to make it healthier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 lb ground beef, extra lean
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red pepper tapenade
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 3 1/2 ounces puy lentils
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 ounce plain dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the Mash Topping
- 1Fry the onion and garlic for about five minutes in a little olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Increase the heat and add the ground beef, stirring continuously until browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the chilies and cumin and continue to fry for one minute.
- 4Mix in the chopped tomatoes, tapenade, stock, lentils and beans and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 5Stir in the chocolate and season with salt and pepper, if you feel it needs more heat you can add some chili powder or hot sauce.
- 6While the chili is simmering, cook your potatoes until tender.
- 7Mash with the milk, turmeric and cilantro. Season to taste.
- 8Place the chili into an ovenproof dish and top with the mash, without smoothing it down too much.
- 9Place under a preheated grill for 5-10 minutes until the top is golden brown and crisp.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Con Carne Pie
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.8
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 69.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 28.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: