1/4 Photos of Chili Con Carne Pie
Adjust the heat to taste. It's from a Lesley Waters (UK TV-Chef) cookbook. Some of the meat you'd normally find in this kind of dish has been replaced with lentils to make it healthier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 lb ground beef, extra lean
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red pepper tapenade
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 3 1/2 ounces puy lentils
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 ounce plain dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the Mash Topping
- 1Fry the onion and garlic for about five minutes in a little olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Increase the heat and add the ground beef, stirring continuously until browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the chilies and cumin and continue to fry for one minute.
- 4Mix in the chopped tomatoes, tapenade, stock, lentils and beans and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 5Stir in the chocolate and season with salt and pepper, if you feel it needs more heat you can add some chili powder or hot sauce.
- 6While the chili is simmering, cook your potatoes until tender.
- 7Mash with the milk, turmeric and cilantro. Season to taste.
- 8Place the chili into an ovenproof dish and top with the mash, without smoothing it down too much.
- 9Place under a preheated grill for 5-10 minutes until the top is golden brown and crisp.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Con Carne Pie
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.8
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 69.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 28.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: