Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cooking for a crowd. This recipe is from "Yankee Church Supper Cook Book"
- 10 medium onions, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 6 lbs ground beef
- 6 -8 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cans tomatoes (1 lb., 12 oz. each)
- 2 cans tomato paste (6 oz. each)
- 6 cans red kidney beans (12 oz each)
- Cook onions in hot oil until tender but not brown.
- Add meat sprinkled with all the spices, herbs, and seasonings.
- Break up meat with fork and brown.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes or longer, adding water as needed to maintain original level of liquid.
- Add beans and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- You can make this ahead (with or without beans) and reheat.
- Freezes well too.
- Two aluminum-foil roasting pans will conveniently hold the chili (without beans) for freezing.
- Total volumne of recipe- 42 cups.