1/2 Photos of Chili Con Carne (Cooks Country)
2 hrs 30 mins
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
This is a pretty simple, but delicious chili that surprised us both and has replaced our prior favorite which was a slightly more labor-intensive chili from Cook's Illustrated. Avocado and cheese are optional garnishes. The chili is really good by itself, but was amazing smothering my favorite food, a baked potato!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo (or to taste)
- 4 slices bacon, diced fine
- 1 boneless beef chuck-eye roast (3 1/2 - 4 lbs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (really pays to get a GOOD chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn muffin mix (like Jiffy or Red Mill)
- 1Add the can of tomatoes and the chipotle chiles to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- 2Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towel-lined plate and reserve 3 tablespoons bacon fat.
- 3Pat the beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides (use a second tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat for the second batch). Be sure not to overcrowd the pan or the beef will steam and not brown. Transfer the browned beef to a bowl and set aside.
- 5Add remaining tablespoon of bacon fat, onion, and jalapeno to empty Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 7Stir in water, pureed tomato mixture, bacon, browned beef, and sugar and bring to boil.
- 8Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- 9Remove cover, skim fat from the surface and continue to simmer uncovered until meat is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- 10Ladle 1 cup chili liquid into medium bowl and stir in muffin mix; cover with microwave-safe wrap/waxed paper. Microwave until mixture is thickened, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk mixture into chili and simmer until chili is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with avocado and cheese if desired.
- 11The chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Con Carne (Cooks Country)
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.3
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 144.4 mg
- Sodium 283.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 49.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
corn muffin mix