Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This chili is chock full - of meat, beans and flavor! And it feeds a crowd. If making vegan, don't add the ground beef. Substitute any canned beans for the ones listed, the more the merrier, whatever your pot will hold. If making a small batch use the cans of unseasoned "bean medley" and cut back on the other ingredients. If you're watching your sodium, drain and rinse the beans before adding, but if not, use undrained - excellent source of fiber.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (19 ounce) can pigeon peas
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can lentils
- 1 (19 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (19 ounce) can navy beans
- 1 -2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- In a large pot, brown ground beef, breaking apart any large chunks.
- Add in onion and garlic, fry until softened.
- Add green pepper.
- Add tomatoes, undrained.
- Stir in all beans, undrained.
- Add chili powder, black pepper.
- Stirring once in awhile to prevent scorching, simmer for 2 hours.
- Skim fat, if lean beef used this step shouldn't be necessary.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.