Recipe by The Lone Ranger
I got the basic recipe from a book called Authentic Indian-Mexican Recipes by William Hardwick ( a very good book and very cheap about £2 or $4) and added a few optional extras.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks (cubed)
- 4 fresh chilies (chopped)
- 1 cup beef broth (see method)
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 6 coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (follow the instructions on packet if using dried beans) (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces tequila (optional)
- 2 ounces masa harina, to thicken (optional)
- olive oil (for cooking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the meat until tender. Save the liquid (broth) for later on.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil and add the beef to brown.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes with the pot covered.
- Add the Masa Harina to thicken if required.