Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is based on Emeril's Chili con Carne recipe. It is my most favorite chili recipe so I thought I would share. The best thing about this recipe is that you don't use beans, but if you must have them, they can easily be added.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 473.18 ml chopped yellow onions
- 236.59 ml chopped green bell pepper
- 19.71 ml minced garlic
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml Emeril's Original Essence
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml cayenne
- 425.24 g can whole canned tomatoes
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml shredded cheese, for topping
- tortilla chips or cracker
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and stir to break up the pieces.
- Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces.
- Add the squeezed tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, ladle into a large bowl and top with the shredded cheese and serve with Crackers or tortilla chips.
Great chili! I was a little more generous with the spices, especially the chili powder. We like things hot! And my husband will like the lack of beans which I usually add to my chili. I like them, but he doesn't. Thanks for posting this recipe!
Absolutely ouststanding! I'm Australian so of course I added beans (we couldn't imagine a chilli con carne without them!) and used Lennie's Essence recipe as you can't get this spice mix over here. I cooked this for around 1 1/2 hours to get the consistancy we like and have already made it twice. I left out the salt as it didn't need it for our tastes. Thanks so much for this excellent recipe!
Hard to know if this is the correct rating because I made it with veggie granules, tofu, and kidney beans and didn't have Emeril's Essence. Tasted great :)