Recipe by The Giggle Box
This recipe is based on Emeril's Chili con Carne recipe. It is my most favorite chili recipe so I thought I would share. The best thing about this recipe is that you don't use beans, but if you must have them, they can easily be added.
Top Review by Michelle Kasper
Great chili! I was a little more generous with the spices, especially the chili powder. We like things hot! And my husband will like the lack of beans which I usually add to my chili. I like them, but he doesn't. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded cheese, for topping
- tortilla chips or cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and stir to break up the pieces.
- Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces.
- Add the squeezed tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, ladle into a large bowl and top with the shredded cheese and serve with Crackers or tortilla chips.