Cook1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is based on Emeril's Chili con Carne recipe. It is my most favorite chili recipe so I thought I would share. The best thing about this recipe is that you don't use beans, but if you must have them, they can easily be added.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded cheese, for topping
- tortilla chips or cracker
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat and stir to break up the pieces.
- Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces.
- Add the squeezed tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, ladle into a large bowl and top with the shredded cheese and serve with Crackers or tortilla chips.