Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 6 tablespoons bacon fat or 6 tablespoons shortening
- 3 medium onions, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, Chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 can large tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pint black olives
- 1 can large red kidney beans
- In 3-6 Tbsp of bacon fat/shortening, lightly brown the onion and add the 4 cloves of garlic. Remove the onions and garlic with a fork or a slotted spatula.
- Add to the remaining fat the chili powder that has been mixed with the 1 Tbsp flour. Make sure that there is enough fat in fryer. If not, add a Tbsp or so, so that it mixes well. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the meat and stir it around until all the chili mixture is absorbed.
- Then brown the meat, stirring it to get it brown, but not burned.
- When brown, stir in the tomatoes and cook gently for about 20 minutes.
- Then add the bay leaves, salt, oregano, red wine vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Cook about another 20 minutes and then add the red kidney beans.
- Cook slowly for about 2 hours.
- Then add the ripe black olives, after cutting them into thin slices, and use the pitted ones. and cook another 30 minutes.
- If the mixture looks too thick, add another can of tomatoes at the time you put in the kidney beans, Serve with a bowl of crackers.