Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious, healthy & easy chili recipe. Perfect to whip up on a weeknight with ingredients you probably have on hand. Adapted from the American Heart Association Cookbook.
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into small cubes (such as sirloin)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- Brown beef in oil in a large dutch oven or deep skillet.
- Add onion and green pepper. Cook until onion is soft & translucent. Add garlic & stir.
- Add remaining ingredients except beans & salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Drain beans & add to pot. Add salt to taste. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with grated cheddar cheese on top (optional).
- Can substitute kidney or other beans & also use ground beef instead of sirloin if desired.