- 453.59 g dried pinto bean
- 1419.54 ml water
- 680.38 g ground chuck
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 297.66 g can beef broth, undiluted
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 29.58 ml dried oregano, crushed
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (optional)
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- avocado, peeled and diced
- green onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash the beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above the beans; let soak for 8 hours.
- Drain the beans; add 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Drain the beans, reserving 2 1/2 cups liquid. Set beans and liquid aside.
- Cook the ground chuck, onion, green pepper, garlic, and chopped jalapenos (if using) in a skillet until the meat is browned, stirring to crumble the meat; drain well.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the reserved beans and liquid. Cover and simmer an additional 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.