Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came from my Pillsbury Cookbook. This has been my favorite way to eat chili since 1995. The recipe listed here includes my modifications. When in season, I have substituted the green chilis with a habenero and another time with a habenero plus 2 tabasco peppers. Both of these, especially the latter, made it a HOT chili.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped and undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Sautee ground beef with onion; drain.
- In a large pot, combine ground beef mixture and remaining ingredients, except for the kidney beens.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring occassionally. You can also cook this in a crock pot for 5-6 hours on low.
- Add kidney beans and simmer until thoroughly heated.