Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Awesome and great tasting chili. This makes a lot of chili so freeze your unused portions for future meals.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili (or pinto beans)
- Place ground beef in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until brown. Drain and set aside.
- Saute the onions, celery and bell pepper until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef, onions, celery and bell pepper with the remaining ingredients to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese on top.
I love chili and have tried many many recipes. This is a true keeper! I've never added celery or bell pepper to mine before, but they really added alot to the whole taste. Because it's towards the end of the tour - I did garnish with jalapeno, a 4-cheese Mexican blend (monterey jack, cheddar, asadero, and queso quesadilla), and a little cilantro. LOL. Thanks SueVM for a really nice treat. I halved the recipe, had a bowl and have frozen the rest to have later. Made for ZWT5 2009 Family Picks.