Recipe by HisPixie
I first made this in May 2004 because I didn't have a dry chili seasoning mix. It was excellent and easy. My husband adds crushed red pepper to his bown. This is my standard chili recipe now.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups salsa (1 jar Ortega salsa)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat vegetable oil in skillet.
- Add beef, onions and garlic; cook until no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, cover and cook for one hour (I've been content with 15 minutes).
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired, and serve.