Recipe by JoyfulCook
What a wonderful combination of flavours ! - the beans with the beef and chili makes it a real comfort food,serve either in a bowl with crackers, with rice, or salads as a main meal. Great served over a split baked potato.
Top Review by JustJanS
This is so close to the way I always make my chili, I had to give it 5 stars. I used the larger amount of meat and after tasting it, added another 2 tablepoons of tomato paste. I served it over rice with guacomole, grated cheese and sour cream on the table. Thanks for a comfort meal enjoyed by all Joy.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 -600 g ground beef
- 1 (425 g) canchopped diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin, powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 3 teaspoons paprika, smoked
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 (420 g) cans red kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil in a large saucepan and cook the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the beef, stirring with a fork to break it up until it looses its pinkness.
- Add all the ingredients - EXCEPT the beans. stir and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Drain kidney beans, add to the beef and cook for a further half hour.
- Serve either in a bowl with crackers or with either rice or salads as an evening meal. Great to freeze.