Recipe by mumoftwo
A diabetic friendly recipe from the CDA. This chili has cabbage in it, which givs it a lovely crunch, and makes it really healthy. Even my 4 year old likes it.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (do NOT drain can)
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan (Dutch oven) cook beef, onion and garlic until browned and done. Drain the fat.
- Add cabbage, celery, green pepper, tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer over for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Exchanges per 1 1/8 cup serving - 1 starch, 2 protein.