Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Zesty "south of the border" specialty. This is the recipe for chili my mother has always used. It's not too hot and not too mild. It's just right. I entered it into a chili cookoff once and it won first place.
- Cook ground beef and onion in 3 T hot butter until browned.
- Add the kidney beans and tomato soup and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine the chili powder, flour, water and salt and make into paste. Blend into ground beef mixture.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, 45 minutes. Depending on your taste, feel free to add more or less chili powder. Serve hot -- with crackers or warm bread.
- If you like your chili less thick, just add the chili powder in step three and omit the flour, water and salt.
This hearty chili is my husband's favorite! Since I myself prefer balanced protein, I toss in about 1/4 c canned corn to my own serving for a less-meaty meal. I occasionally add about 1/4 teaspoon cumin for some additional flavor.
We enjoyed this chili a lot. My family likes it spicy so I used 2 tablespoons. I used the flour in mine and the consistency was perfect for us.
This was yummy! I didn't have condensed soup, so I used a can of tomato sauce. I also opted to follow step 5 and make my chili less thick. I used 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder and it was perfect for me, but I'm a bit of a wimp. If you like things more spicy, 2 tbsp would be the way to go. Thanks for posting Lainey6605!