Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've tried many chili recipes over the years, this is the only one I liked. This recipe is simple and delicious. My old recipe book is falling apart so I need to preserve this recipe because it is a winter staple in my house!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 28 ounces tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed tomato soup
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies, undrained
- 15 1⁄2 ounces kidney beans (optional) or 15 1⁄2 ounces your favorite chili beans (optional)
- In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine ground beef mixture and remaining ingredients except beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1/2 to 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans; simmer until thoroughly heated.
I made this while exploring option from my LBJ Chili recipe. Being a Texan by birth and girth "chili" is always without beans. I made this recipe accordingly and it was good. We like it a little spicier and I was pressured the second time I made it to include the beans. I did so reluctantly and the family called this a keeper.