Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great way to impress everyone with a pound of mince! This has been a family favourite for years but I seem to be increasing the spices to make it even hotter as I get older....... best to share it now before it gets too hot to handle...........
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 kg minced beef
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 (400 g) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed well
- 1⁄2-2 teaspoon chili powder (to personal taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 beef stock cube
- Heat oil in medium pan.
- Fry onion & garlic together until onion soft and translucent.
- Add mince and stir gently until browned, taking care not to break mince up too much. Add tomatoes, tomato puree, chilli, oregano, cayenne, bay leaves, stock cube & enough water to almost cover.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Add salt to taste.
- If you want to add more spices you need to let it simmer for another 15-20 mins to allow the flavour to develop.
- Add kidney beans and allow to heat through. Serve with crusty bread.
Totally lost the flavour of the meat in this one. The chilli was way to over powering and I only used 1 tsp.
This was great. Didn't have can of tomatoes so i used a can of tomato soup instead. Will use this one again.