Recipe by looneytunesfan
This is a great chili that I always get requests to bring to potlucks. It did bring tears to my boss's eyes one time when I accidently put in 4 TABLESPOONS of chili powder instead of 4 teaspoons. (Or maybe I did it subconsciously on purpose ?!?) * 3 lbs. ground beef can be substituted for top round *
Top Review by Lainey6605
This made for a great comforting meal during a week of snowstorms! I did use ground beef in place of the top round beef and it tasted delicious. It is not a real spicy chili but it is very flavorful! We loved it. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 lbs top round beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups kidney beans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat 4 T. oil. Add meat and cook over high heat 2 to 3 minutes until lightly brown. Transfer to a large pot.
- Add the rest of the oil to skillet and cook onions and garlic 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add tomato paste. Stir until well coated. Add to meat in pot. Pour in beef stock and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, stirring 1 or 2 times. Half cover pot; lower heat and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. If adding beans, add 15 minutes before meat is done.