Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I wanted a rich flavorful Chili Colorado. I took the best of all the recipes I have and came up with this. The BF is not fond of chunks of tomato or onion. I chopped the garlic and onions finely - you are welcome to leave them chunky and use chopped tomatoes if you do not have picky eaters :) This would also do well in the crock pot. Prepare the meat till step 3 and then place the meat and the tomato puree in the crock and heat on low for 6-8 hours.
- 907.18 g stewing beef (cut into 2-inch cubes)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 59.14 ml bacon bits (1/4 cup real bacon bits)
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 29.58 ml oregano
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 59.14 ml lard or 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato puree
- Heat large pot over high heat and melt lard/oil. Add Onions and Garlic and sauté till light golden color.
- Add beef and all the herbs and spices. Stir the spices so they cover the meat and cook till meat is browned.
- Add bacon bits and continue to cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree, bring to a slow boil and then reduce to simmer for 1.5 hours stirring every 15 minutes, until meat is fork tender.
- Serve over steamed rice, with grated sharp cheddar cheese, and sour cream.