Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I wanted a rich flavorful Chili Colorado. I took the best of all the recipes I have and came up with this. The BF is not fond of chunks of tomato or onion. I chopped the garlic and onions finely - you are welcome to leave them chunky and use chopped tomatoes if you do not have picky eaters :) This would also do well in the crock pot. Prepare the meat till step 3 and then place the meat and the tomato puree in the crock and heat on low for 6-8 hours.
- 2 lbs stewing beef (cut into 2-inch cubes)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 -10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (1/4 cup real bacon bits)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup lard or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato puree
- Heat large pot over high heat and melt lard/oil. Add Onions and Garlic and sauté till light golden color.
- Add beef and all the herbs and spices. Stir the spices so they cover the meat and cook till meat is browned.
- Add bacon bits and continue to cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree, bring to a slow boil and then reduce to simmer for 1.5 hours stirring every 15 minutes, until meat is fork tender.
- Serve over steamed rice, with grated sharp cheddar cheese, and sour cream.