8 hrs 45 mins
Do not add beans, do not add beans, do not add beans. Serve with hot corn bread or cheesy beer muffins and queso fresco on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 dried new mexico peppers
- 6 dried arbol chiles
- 6 dried ancho chiles
- 4 dried chipotle chiles
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4 lbs sirloin, in 1 or 2 large pieces
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 5 -6 cloves garlic
- 2 cups clear beef broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1Take all the chiles and seed.
- 2Snip with sissors and place in a medium glass bowl.
- 3Cover with boiling water and then cover bowl with a plate.
- 4Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 5Mean while brown bacon in a large skillet.
- 6Remove and add sirloin steak to the skillet and brown in bacon fat on both sides.
- 7Add the meats to the crock pot.
- 8Place the chiles and water in a food processor and whirl to very smooth.
- 9Strain if you want, I don't worry about it when using the processor.
- 10by hand is another story.
- 11You will need to press puree through a mesh strainer.
- 12Add the puree to the crock pot along with all the remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- 13You also want to add around 1/4 cup of the bacon fat.
- 14Turn your crock pot up to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- 15Turn down to low and cook for 5 1/2 hours.
- 16Add Cilantro and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- 17The meat will fall apart as you ladle into bowls.
- 18Serve with hot corn bread or cheesy beer muffins.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Colorado
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 696.2
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 167.3 mg
- Sodium 695.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 49.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: