Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Do not add beans, do not add beans, do not add beans. Serve with hot corn bread or cheesy beer muffins and queso fresco on the side.
- 8 dried new mexico peppers
- 6 dried arbol chiles
- 6 dried ancho chiles
- 4 dried chipotle chiles
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4 lbs sirloin, in 1 or 2 large pieces
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 5 -6 cloves garlic
- 2 cups clear beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- Take all the chiles and seed.
- Snip with sissors and place in a medium glass bowl.
- Cover with boiling water and then cover bowl with a plate.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Mean while brown bacon in a large skillet.
- Remove and add sirloin steak to the skillet and brown in bacon fat on both sides.
- Add the meats to the crock pot.
- Place the chiles and water in a food processor and whirl to very smooth.
- Strain if you want, I don't worry about it when using the processor.
- by hand is another story.
- You will need to press puree through a mesh strainer.
- Add the puree to the crock pot along with all the remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- You also want to add around 1/4 cup of the bacon fat.
- Turn your crock pot up to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn down to low and cook for 5 1/2 hours.
- Add Cilantro and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- The meat will fall apart as you ladle into bowls.
- Serve with hot corn bread or cheesy beer muffins.
Thanks! This is the best Chili recipe I have ever tried. I cooked it for a group of lads that like their foor spicy and it went down a treat.In fact the Chili got more comments than the footy match it really was that good. Thanks again.
Took a little time preparing the chilies but oh so worth while. The Chili Colorado was fabulous. I have made it for my son's branding this weekend.I always do the cooking and Chili Colorado is one of the always make dishes. I feel I have just made the best one ever, We will see what all the cowboys and cowgirls think. Thank you. Betty Edwards
I had to try this recipe mostly because the chef insisted not to add beans! Wow Di, it was fantastic!All the different flavors of the chile's really make this dish. Also not so high in carb's which we are watching. I wish I could give it more stars! It was truely wonderful. One suggestion though.....I think you should change the name to Chili Texas. :0)