Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
For The Cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
For The Whipped Ceam
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Raspbeery Squeeze Sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed (optional)
- ---ForThe Cake---.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, grease, flour and line, with parchment paper, the bottom of 2 nine inch round cake pans.
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk buttermilk, butter, cocoa and chili powder over medium heat until all the butter has melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture over flour mixture and whisk until blended, add egg mixture and whisk again, then stir in hazelnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 30- 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Transfer to to baking racks, cool 10 minutes, remove from pans, return to racks and cool completely.
- ---ForThe Whipped Cream---.
- Chill bowl and beaters in the refrigerator until cold.
- Beat cream until it starts to thicken, add sugar and cream of tartar, continue beating until soft peaks form, add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- ---ForThe Raspberry Squeeze Sauce---.
- Puree raspberries and liquid in a blender or processor, strain in a sieve and store in squeeze bottle in the refrigerator (can be made 4-5 days ahead of time).
- ---ToAssemble And Serve---.
- Place one cake layer on a serving dish and top with 1/2 the whipped cream, add second layer and the remaining whipped cream.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Place cake slices on desert dishes and drizzle raspberry sauce in a decorative pattern around the edges.
This is one fabulous cake! I made just the cake (no whipped cream or raspberry sauce) and left out the hazelnuts because I didn't have any. It was great! Really a nice combination of flavors. Next time I may add a wee bit more chile powder. We all loved it and I will be making it again. And again...
Very tasty and original. Made it with 4 teaspoons chili powder, I will try some more next time. Being a very rich cake, this receipe can give more than 10 pieces.