Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve with cornbread and a green salad.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2⁄3 cup picante sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- sliced green onion
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Cook chicken, onion, green pepper, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven until lightly browned.
- Add next 6 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls; top individual servings with remaining ingredients.
I made this for supper tonight and made some subs due to ingredients missing. I halved the recipe and used cold leftover roasted chicken as a sub for the breasts. I had no green pepper or picante sauce but used stewed tomatoes with spices and a large can white kidney beans and threw a can of tomato paste in, with a can of water. I doubled the cumin was generous with the chili powder and was very pleasantly surprised by the heart flavor of this dish. Topped the dish with cheddar cheese and served with cornbread - will definitely make again. Thanks
This is outstanding! I served it over rice and topped it with cheese, sour cream, and green onions. Wonderful!