Recipe by Derf
A whole meal chicken salad, with lots of taste, from Cooking Light. A very satisfying meal. (Cook time includes 20 minutes chill time.)
Top Review by Myrna in London
Attempting this recipe was me at my most adventuresome. I have to this point kept away from spicy foods mainly through lack of exposure to them. Even in this case I opted for ancho chili powder because it was reputed to have a mild slightly fruity taste. Instead of cooking the chicken under the broiler I did them on the BBQ. I did however tent them in foil to keep them from drying out (whether that was necessary or not I can’t say) but they were still tender at the end of the cooking period. I have to confess that I did make one basic change in the dressing. I whimped out and used a quarter cup of Octoberfest mustard rather than Dijon because I felt that I wanted a slightly sweeter taste. Plated it was an exceedingly attractive offering and it met with the approval of all. Thank you Dorothy. (prepared for the COOKOUT Cookathon July 1st –4th 2002)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed (or fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 6 cups tightly packed sliced romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl, and add first 6 ingredients, or process in blender.
- Process until a paste forms, scraping sides occasionally.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish, spread onion mixture evenly over both sides of each piece.
- Cover and chill 20 minutes.
- Place chicken on rack of broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially opened) 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Cut chicken across grain into thin slices, set aside and chill, if desired.
- Combine mustard and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stir with a wire whisk until blended.
- Stir in corn and green onions.
- Divide sliced lettuce evenly among 4 salad plates, and top with warm or chilled chicken slices.
- Pour dressing evenly over salads.