Recipe by justcallmetoni
Smoky, spicy and comforting this easy dish is my adaptation of a recipe found on weightwatchers.com. My favorite preparation is used here: chop, dump and simmer. The onions and leeks melt down into the base of the soup giving the liquid both body and flavor. As presented, this recipe is 5 WW points per serving and Core.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1 1/2 pounds in total
- cooking spray
- 354.88 ml leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 177.44 ml white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1.23 ml sweet paprika
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 3 ear corn, kernels removed (see directions)
- 473.18 ml fat free chicken broth
- 354.88 ml white mushrooms or 354.88 ml cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt & pepper, to taste
- cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Apply a light coating of cooking spray and add the leeks, onions, garlic, and jalepenos. Cook for two minutes.
- Cut the chicken thighs in half and add to the pot. Cook and stir for 2 minutes until the surface of the chicken is opaque.
- Add the corn kernels, paprika, cumin and chicken broth. Milk the corn cobs by scraping the back of a knife across the surface holding the cob over the pot so the liquid drips into the soup. Bring to a light boil and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir in, cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add the yellow squash and stir in cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste. The amounts will vary based on the type of broth used.
- Optional: The chicken should be tender enough to cut with a back of a spoon, but if you prefer you can remove the thighs and shred the chicken.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro (optional).