Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut about 1 inch thick,cut into 6 pcs
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (I use crushed)
- 1 (4 ounce) packageshredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In cup, combine flour, salt, chili powder and pepper.
- Trim any excess fat from round steak; place meat on board and sprinkle with some flour mixture.
- With meat mallet or edge of saucer, pound mixture into meat.
- (This helps tenderize it).
- Turn and repeat on other side.
- In 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot shortening, cook meat until well browned on all sides; remove meat to board.
- In drippings, cook onions until browned; stir in remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon onion mixture into a large shallow casserole.
- Arrange steaks on top, then add tomatoes and their liquid.
- Cover and bake 1-1/2 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- Spoon any fat from casserole.
- Sprinkle steaks with cheese.
- Heat 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Good recipe! I was running short on time and didn't flour/pound the meat and brown it. I mixed the tomatoes, flour, chili powder, salt and pepper together. I topped the steaks with onion slices, poured on the tomatoes and baked for about an hour. I used colby jack cheese.