Recipe by Lorac
An updated, flavor filled version of an old favorite from the Lodge at Sedona, Sedona, Arizona.
Top Review by Miss Annie
Lorac....what a treat! When I first saw this recipe I thought it was a winner, then I saw the maple syrup ingredient and thought....maybe not. Not your usual combination. Anyway, I made it, maple syrup and all! Fantastic was the verdict! I loved the cheese layer, the heat layer of chiles and yes the sweet counterpoint! As usual, you come up with some of the best stuff! Betcha I make this one a few more times, lol! :-O
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons canned green chilies, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 5 eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine shallots, garlic, chilis and milk and bring just to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add cornmeal gradually while stirring constantly, reduce heat and cook about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheeses, butter, syrup and salt and set aside to cool.
- In a small, beat egg yolks and stir into cooled cornmeal mixture.
- In another small bowl beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, fold into mixture.
- Pour into a buttered 2 quart casserole, cover and bake 50- 60 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.