Recipe by MarraMamba
A not to spice comfort food. Delicious. From Oct/07 Bon Appetit
Top Review by diner524
Wasn't sure if I would like the combination, but knew I liked chili, cheese and sourdough bread so had to give it a try!! Loved it!! I buttered the sourdough bread and then grilled it on both sides and then followed as directed. I didn't have red onion, so subbed yellow onion and then topped with green onion. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Definitely will make this again. Made for "For Your Consideration" tag game.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onions, divided
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 slices sourdough bread, 1/2-inch-thick, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup packed grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 cups onions and next 3 ingredients. Sauté until beef is cooked through, breaking up with spoon, about 5 minutes. Add beans with liquid and tomatoes.
- Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Mix in cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Place sourdough toasts on plates. Top with chili, cheese, and remaining chopped red onions.