A not to spice comfort food. Delicious. From Oct/07 Bon Appetit
Make and share this Chili-Cheese Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onions, divided
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 slices sourdough bread, 1/2-inch-thick, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup packed grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 cups onions and next 3 ingredients. Sauté until beef is cooked through, breaking up with spoon, about 5 minutes. Add beans with liquid and tomatoes.
- Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Mix in cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Place sourdough toasts on plates. Top with chili, cheese, and remaining chopped red onions.
Wasn't sure if I would like the combination, but knew I liked chili, cheese and sourdough bread so had to give it a try!! Loved it!! I buttered the sourdough bread and then grilled it on both sides and then followed as directed. I didn't have red onion, so subbed yellow onion and then topped with green onion. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Definitely will make this again. Made for "For Your Consideration" tag game.
Loved this easy and very tasty version of sloppy joes. I added a bit of cumin and paprika, added petite diced tomatoes, and a can of mild chili beans. Adore sourdough bread so this was a winner with me and DH loved everything! Made and reviewed for the 2014 Culinary Quest - Family Picks.
We loved this quick and easy version of a chili-size. I doubled the recipe and added some cumin and extra cilantro. I served this over toasted sourdough garlic bread with lots of onions and cheese...yum! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. **Made for Culinary Quest - Suitcase Gourmets**