Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this in a Southern Living of indeterminate age. I NEVER liked grits until I fixed this with roast beef and gravy. NOW -- I pay much more attention to grits recipes, expecially when there is an unexpected, added twist. These go well with ANY beef and/or vegetables, and are just a little different. Times do not include chill time.
- 1 cup grits
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into greased 9X13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until set.
- Chill cooled baking dish of cooked grits.
- Cut into squares.
- Broil 5 inches from heat, for 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Serve with any beef or vegetables.
- May be made 1 day before, and chilled overnight.
I love grits and this was a really tasty twist. They took awhile to make with the cooling time. I tried to cut them a bit early and they fell apart so definately cool completely (we just ate the messed up pieces ahead of time so they didn't go to waste). Thanks for the great side dish.