Recipe by Annacia
This is just plain tasty. I consider it to be diabetic friendly too. It's excellent with chili or bean soup.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
Loved this cornbread! The chilies and cheese send it over the top! I made these in muffin tins (no papers) so I could freeze some since I am the only one who eats cornbread. Served it with chili tonight for a nice cozy meal. Made for Best of 2011 Cookbook Tag.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, low fat preferred
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chilies (or to taste, I use Ortega brand in a can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Coat an 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with 2 tablespoons of cornmeal.
- Sift into a large bowl the remaining cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, cheese and chilies, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan .
- Bake 18 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Makes 12 2 inch pieces.