This is just plain tasty. I consider it to be diabetic friendly too. It's excellent with chili or bean soup.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, low fat preferred
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chilies (or to taste, I use Ortega brand in a can)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Coat an 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with 2 tablespoons of cornmeal.
- Sift into a large bowl the remaining cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, cheese and chilies, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan .
- Bake 18 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Makes 12 2 inch pieces.
Loved this cornbread! The chilies and cheese send it over the top! I made these in muffin tins (no papers) so I could freeze some since I am the only one who eats cornbread. Served it with chili tonight for a nice cozy meal. Made for Best of 2011 Cookbook Tag.
This cornbread is AMAZING!!!! Mmm, its so moist, fluffy and yummy! It has such a great cheesy, spicy taste, we could not get enough of it. :)
I used whole spelt flour and fresh green chillies. Instead of the egg white I used applesauce and reduced the buttermilk to 1 cup. I found that I needed to bake the bread 5 minutes longer, but other than that everything was spot on.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing such a great, great keeper with us, Annacia. I think Ive found my new favourite cornbread. :)
Made and reviewed for I Recommend Tag July 2011.
This is a very nice cornbread! I used the lower-fat ingredients as specified and added a few more green chilis than called for just because I love the flavor. This had a nice, moist texture and didn't really taste lowfat :) Thanks for posting this recipe!