Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you love spice and cheese, this soup is a must try, it has tons of flavor!
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and finely cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth (or use veggie broth)
- 2 1⁄4 cups old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned corn niblets (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- In a heavy saucepen heat oil or butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and chili powder; saute for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add in cubed potatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor; puree until smooth, then return the mixture to the saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in 2-1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese, milk, half and half, corn niblets, salt and pepper; cook stirring for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the mixture is heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with chopped green onions and more shredded cheddar cheese.
My 13 year old son loves this soup and I have made it a number of times, I did make a few changes as we are trying to cut down on our fat content in foods. I only used 1 1/2 cups of cheese, I substituted evaporated milk for the cream and used skim milk for the full fat milk. I also left out the corn and green onions. We loved this soup and have found that a single batch does not last long enough so now I make a double batch. If you like your soup spicy you may want to add extra jalapeno peppers. Thanks for the recipe.